Bottled water …..
… in developed countries is not only an insanity but also an obscenity.
- It is no healthier than tapwater. If it were essential to health then how come we oldies survived before? Logically, the Human Race should have died out.
- It tastes no different, unless you buy it fizzy – but you could add your own fizz at home.
- It costs VASTLY more than tapwater.
- It is VASTLY more profitable to producers than gasoline for oil companies.
- It is VASTLY more expensive to produce – around 1500 times more than an equivalent quantity of tap water.
- Its transportation produces significant amounts of harmful emissions.
- It is VASTLY wasteful; water is scarce, yet it takes 7 litres of water to make a 1 litre bottle plus the contents.
- It leads to VASTLY-INCREASED pollution. ‘see “Giant Rubbish Dump Accumulating in the Pacific“
- It soaks up resources that could be better used, including to save lives of people dying from lack of or dirty water.
In short, it is absolute folly. What on earth is there going for it? At the same time, it is big business and very popular? Why?
- Are people ignorant about all the above? That’s quite worrying …. not much future with so much ignorance about.
- Are people paranoid about what comes out of their taps? Oh dear – paranoia is not good for us.
- Do people place their vanity and status-image before the above-mentioned points? Hmmmm …..
- Are many people just suckers for slick advertising? I guess the answer to that one is a straight “Yes”.
- Have millions of people no common-sense and/or social conscience? Oh dear, this time it’s a clear “No”.
Bottled water is nonsense, except of course where there is no alternative.
If rich, fat Westerners really like bottled water they could export it to developing countries where millions die through lack of or poisoned/polluted water every year while at the same time pouring funds into building water infrastructure for these very same people.
Yes, I know the industry provides jobs, but so did making nerve-gas for the Nazis.
The point is, we should direct our energy and money into things which are not totally unnecessary and destructive. I’m not a great fan of the “nanny-state”, but in some areas – and this is one – the government should be taking a more forceful lead. Help us kick our silly, selfish, faddish and destructive addiction to bottled water.
Some excellent links on this topic:
- Water Calculator – New American Dream website
- It says it all …….. Read and truly get the message
- [And see an earlier Post on Learning from Dogs, Ed.]
By Chris Snuggs